
A Soldier's Lament
By Clem H. Block (1914-2004)
(My grandpa who served in World War II)
I don't want to be a soldier,
I don't want to fight another war,
I don't care to give my life blood
for the ballyhoo we've heard so many times before.
I don't care to be a hero,
Shoot and kill a human score,
Medals may be good for boy scouts,
But not for killing in a war.
Pittance pay for dirty fighting,
Munition makers get the loot,
Overtime for making bullets,
Pittance pay for those who shoot.
Politicians, Generals, listen,
Time grows shorter by the minute,
We may kill another million,
But our hearts and souls aren't in it.
Every life is precious somewhere,
Soldiers die as hours flee,
Death means more than just a headstone,
Time is fleeting- can't you see.
Draw a halt to all this bloodshed,
Call a truce no conference please,
Listen to the call of reason,
Bring us back from overseas.
Bring us back while we are living,
Too late now to help the dead,
Send us to our dearest loved ones,
For this now our prayers are said.
Love,
Jenny
No comments:
Post a Comment